You may be either the registered owner/keeper, nominated owner/keeper/driver/hirer or a person our investigations have identified as someone who may have information that may lead to the identification of the driver of the vehicle detected exceeding the legal speed limit.
We are required to post the initial NIP in sufficient time that ordinarily it would be expected for the Registered Keeper to receive it within 14 days of the alleged offence. We do not have to prove it was delivered, merely that it was posted. There is no time restriction on subsequent notices. In certain circumstances this 14 days can be exceeded, for example if you fail to register the vehicle promptly and enquiries need to be made. Proof of posting will ONLY be provided in the event of a court hearing.
The purpose of the NIP is to identify who was driving the vehicle at the time of an alleged offence.

If you are providing details of another person/company, a Notice will  be issued in their own name. If you become aware that your nominee has not received a Notice please contact this office immediately. Should they subsequently dispute your nomination you may be requested to provide further detail to support your nomination.

If you cannot provide the required information you should still respond to the NIP providing any information, which it is in your power to give in order that we can carry out further investigations. Any supporting evidence and/or actions you have taken to identify the driver would also assist our enquiries.

If you were the driver, and circumstances permit, this matter may be dealt with by way of a Speed Awareness Course (SAC) or Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty (COoFP) as an alternative to a court hearing.


The COoFP provides the driver with the opportunity to settle the matter without having to go to court. This may be by way of attending a Driver Retraining Course or by way of a Fixed Penalty by accepting a £100 fine and having their driving licence record endorsed with 3 penalty points.

You do not have to accept the COoFP and can request for the matter to be dealt with by way of a Magistrates court hearing.

If you have more than 8 points on your licence at the date of the alleged offence (received in the last 3 years) or if you were detected at a very high speed, then you will not be able to accept a COoFP. in these cases the matter can only be dealt with by the courts.

Due to the legal time restraints, we reserve the right not to issue a COoFP (which includes a SAC offer) later than 4 months after the date of the offence but to instead refer the case directly to court. Therefore it is important for you to deal with matters expediously to allow the driver maximum time available to consider all options available to them.

If you are accessing the Public Access System on behalf of a company, please enter your own details and date of birth to view the photographs.
The form provided with the Notice of Intended Prosecution is a self serving statement as such it must be signed by the person providing the information, either in the format provided or similar written format. An unsigned admission or nomination is deemed to be a failure to provide the information, and will be treated as such.

Cases brought before the European Court of Human Rights have concluded that the information provided does not infringe Human Rights legislation (incrimination of self or others).

Also, a caution is not required under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 prior to returning the information requested.
Failure to supply the details of the driver may render you liable for prosecution under Section 172 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. This carries a maximum fine of £1,000 and six penalty points, which through totting up could also result in disqualification. The Courts will require you to demonstrate reasonable diligence as to why you could not identify the driver. If required we can provide images of the alleged offence by email, which may or may not assist you to recall the incident or identify the driver. Printed images sent via post will not be as clear as those sent by email.
In this instance you may be requested to provide proof that the person exists, was in the country at the time of the alleged offence and that the driver has returned abroad or has gone abroad for an indefinite period. 
You may also be requested to prove that the person was insured to drive the vehicle at the time of the offence.
If you are unable to provide this information you may still be prosecuted for failure to supply the details of the driver or Permitting No Insurance.
Please contact us so that we can check the details of your vehicle against the offending vehicle. If there is a discrepancy, appropriate action will be taken and you will be advised accordingly. If there is no discrepancy then you may be required to provide written proof confirming the whereabouts of your vehicle on the date in question.
If you have informed the DVLA of the change of ownership before the alleged offence no further action will be taken against you.

It would however assist our enquiries if you could complete the form with details of when and to whom you sold the vehicle, sign and return it to this office. If you have not already informed the DVLA and the date/time of change of ownership is disputed you may be required to provide proof accordingly.
For a speeding conviction to be valid, there are only two requirements: appropriate speed limit notification (through speed limit signs or presence of street lights) and evidence that the speed limit was broken.
We do not have the facilities for video/film evidence to be viewed by the public, however, still images captured from the video/digital evidence are available on this website. If the matter results in court proceedings the defendant or legal representative may make representations to the Crown Prosecution Service for the release of the relevant video/digital evidence under the Criminal Procedure and Investigations Act 1996. Please note that there is NO VIDEO for activations on an Average Speed System, just zone entry and zone exit images.
All speed detection equipment is type-approved by the Home Office and calibrated annually in accordance with the manufacturers' guidelines. Each device also has a built-in self-diagnostic check to ensure that the calibration is correct every time it is used. You will find copies of the calibration certificates of all cameras currently in use by the Safer Roads enforcement team on this website.
We will respond to all requests for information in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). Before making a request for information under the Act, please be aware that any information released under the FOIA will be considered published in the public domain without caveat, and that exemptions will apply to certains type of information. In general, this means that requests for information about an individual speeding offence will be refused under FOIA on the grounds that the information relates to an individual, although we may provide it under out normal course of business. Also, no prosecution evidence will be released under the FOIA, but may be obtained from the Crown Prosecution Service once a summons has been issued.
The Safer Roads team will only consider mitigation in very exceptional circumstances on public interest grounds or where it can shown that an error has occurred in the process. Beyond this to challenge the offence or to provide mitigation the case will have to be referred to the Magistrates Court. If you choose to do this, a court summons will be issued which will allow you the opportunity to provide in writing any mitigating circumstances that you wish the Magistrates to consider. The Magistrates are impartial and have the power to dismiss the alleged offence and award costs. However, they also have the power to increase the penalty, which can be up to £1,000, 3-6 penalty points, Victim Support Levy, Criminal Court charge and possible disqualification.
Please be aware that any correspondence in relation to the offence will have no bearing on the time limits for you to return the completed Notice of Intended Prosecution or to accept the COoFP.
  • I didn't see a camera or any signs
    There is no legal requirement to inform motorists that a speed camera is ahead, make them highly visible or locate them at sites with a history of servious crashes.

  • I did not see the speed limit
    Streetlights mean 30mph (unless signs indicate otherwise). If there are no streetlights and no repeater signs then it is likely the road is subject to the national speed limit. In all other circumstances repeater signs should be present.

  • I think the police vehicle was parked illegally
    For the purpose of law enforcement police vehicle may park legally in any location providing they do not cause a hazard or obstruction.

  • I don't think the camera was justified at that location as it is not a casualty trouble spot.
    All of the Safer Roads team enforcement that now takes place is 'intelligence-led', and we enforce the speed limit wherever it is determined that there is, or may be, a speeding problem.

  • There is a mistake on the Notice
    The Notice of Intended Prosecution must specify the nature of the alleged offence and the time and place where it is alleged to have been committed. Errors in date, time, vehicle registration or speed, where are caused through clerical error, will not automatically render the Notice invalid. Any errors should be brought to our attention immediately.

Remember - the speed limit is the absolute maximum and does not mean it is safe to drive at that speed irrespective of conditions. Speed limits are there for a reason, and are not open to individual interpretation.
As well as the posted speed limits, certain classes of vehicle are subject to their own speed limits and the lesser speed limit must be adhered to. For example, on a dual carriageway road where a saloon car may be driven up to 70mph, a Transit van (being a goods vehicle and not a car-derived van) is restricted by its class to 60mph.
Streetlights mean 30mph (unless signs indicate otherwise).
If you are unsure of the speed on a road where there are streetlights, assume that the speed limit is 30mph, otherwise there will be repeater signs at regular intervals. The law does not allow the highway authorities to place repeater signs in a 30mph area where there is a system of streetlights (lit or unlit).
Dual carriageways in built-up areas may have a reduced speed limit of 60, 50, 40 or eve 30mph to ensure the safety of all road users.
More than 3,000 people are killed on Britain's roads every year. Excessive speed not only increases the risk of collision, but in the case of a collision, increases the severity of injuries sustained. By enforcing speed limits, we aim to make our roads safer for all road users.

Tackling speeding through enforcement is just one element of our Force's overall casualty reduction strategy that also encompasses education.
You can still accept a Fixed Penalty of  £100 plus 3 points. Wait until you have received your COoFP, and then make your payment online or by telephone and email or post a photocopy of your non GB driving licence, unless you have already been issued with a GB counterpart or driver number from the DVLA which should be sent instead.
The type of driving licence you hold does not affect your SAC eligibility.
This would not affect your eligibility for SAC, however should you decided to accept the £100 fine and 3 penalty points, you will be required to make your payment online or by telephone, and post your photocard (or old-style paper driving licence [pre-1988]) to the Regional Fixed Penalty Office (RFPO), within 28 days. Where applicable, advise the DVLA of any change of name/address and signature. Once your driver record has been endorsed, it will be returned to you and you will then be able to contact the DVLA directly to obtain a replacement licence. (Note: it is an offence to not update the DVlA with a change of name/address).
For your SAC eligibility to be considered or a Fixed Penalty to be taken, your driving licence needs to match the name on the driver admission. This may mean using your maiden name for this offence if you do not have sufficient time to make application for a new licence, then you replacing your licence once this offence has been dealt with. Let us know your intentions on your NIP172 response.
Please complete the Notice and return it to this office with a written explanation, we will then be able to advise how much time can be allowed for the licence to be replaced.
However, to accept the COoFP of if the matter is referred to court, you will need to produce a current driving licence photocard (or old style paper driving licence [pre-1988]). We would therefore recommend that you apply to the DVLA for a replacement / duplicate driving licence as soon as possible. (Forms for this can be found at any main Post Office, or you may be able to apply online using the DVLA Website
Penalty points are valid for three years but cannot be removed from your record until four years have elapsed.
You need to advise us of this immediately so that we can consider if an extension to the 28 days can be made.
The number of points on your licence does not affect your SAC eligibility.

Any driver who accumulates 12 or more penalty points within a 3-year period faces disqualification from driving. Therefore any driver who already has more than 8 points on their licence at the date of the alleged offence is unable to accept a COoFP and is automatically referred for Prosecution.

New drivers who accumulate 6 or more penalty points within two years of passing their driving test will have their licence revoked by the DVLA and will have to reapply for a provisional licence and retake their theory and practical driving test. Points incurred whilst on a provisional licence can also count towards the six penalty points. Contact the DVLA for further information.
No. The fixed penalty is not negotiable. If your choose not to accept the fixed penalty the matter is referred to court.
There is no facility to pay a fixed penalty is instalments. However, you can choose to have your case heard by the Magistrates who will be able to take account of your financial circumstances and can make arrangements for payment by instalments. This would however be likely to attract court costs and Victim Support Levy.
Possibly, yes.

Speed Awareness Courses (SAC) are available to drivers exceeding the speed limit up to 42 in a 30mph limit, up to 53 in a 40mph limit, up to 64 in a 50mph limit, up to 75 in a 60mph limit, and up to 86 in a 70mph limit who have neither already attended nor are currently waiting to attend a National course for a previous offence within the last 3 years. The course must be completed within 5 months of offence.

What's Driving Us Courses (WDU) are available to drivers for certain endorsable offences such as mobile phone or not in proper control or contravening a traffic light who have neither already attended nor are currently waiting to attend a National course for a previous offence within the last 3 years. The course must be completed within 5 months of offence.
First of all you need to return the NIP/172 confirming that you were the driver at the time of the alleged offence. Subject to eligibility checks and time permitting to complete the course within 5 months of the alleged offence, we will send you a Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, which will include the offer and information about how and where you can attend. You can only attend each type of course once every 3 years. Each type of course has its own 3-year window (offence date to offence date).
In all likelihood, yes - Northamptonshire Police are part of the National Driver Offender Retraining Scheme. Your driving licence number will be checked against the national database (NDORS) to ensure you are eligible; your details will then be passed to the Northampshire course provider, although you do not have to attend in Northants. Details of all participating Forces and how to apply will be enclosed with the COoFP. If you do not wish to be considered for a Course please indicate this on your NIP response.
The Northamptonshire SAC is a 4 hour classroom based course held at a Northampton or Corby venue and is run by Road Safety experts. There will be up to 24 delegates with you, and there is some group work involved. You won't have to take a test but you will be expected to make a positive contribution to the course, which challenges attitudes to speeding.

The Northamptonshire WDU is a 3 hour classroom based course held at a Northampton or Corby venue and is run by Road Safety experts. There will be up to 24 delegates with you, and there is some group work involved. You won't have to take a test but you will be expected to make a positive contribution to the course, which challenges attitudes to motoring offences.

The courses have a very friendly and relaxed atmosphere; it is not intended to make you feel like a criminal. Even professional drivers with many years' experience have reported a positive benefit from attending. The courses are run weekdays (excluding Bank Holidays) mornings and afternoons with occasional Saturdays. Courses offered elsewhere may vary and should be confirmed with the elected provider.
Course fees vary depending on the location and type of course delivered, which cover the Police and Providers costs. The Northamptonshire SAC costs £90 (Saturday £95). The WDU costs £80. By completing the course you will NOT incur any further penalty in relation to this incident.
In certain circumstances the appointment may be rearranged but there may be an extra fee for this. Full details of refunds and charges are supplied when you receive your COoFP/SAC offer.
Yes. One person to act as interpreter may accompany you. You must let the course providers know at the time of confirming your booking.